Monday, September 6, 2010

My poor broken baby

Periodically I get a wild hair up my ass to ride a bicycle. I would really really love to get into shape and this seems an ideal way to go about it. But that's a post for a different time-that will involve talk of Alex's bike trailer and my new bike and stuff.

Well I bought a bike at a yard sale (mistake 1 as it turns out) and one day I was inflating the tires while Alex was playing on the front porch. She decided to play on her little trike, something she's done countless times both on the porch and off. I'd warned her numerous times about playing too close to the steps.

As that damned Murphy and his stupid laws would have it I was standing up to grab her and try her new helmet on her just as she rode off of the porch. Her face was the first part of her to hit the ground. And not just any ground but the sidewalk. To say there was blood would be an understatement.

She bled a lot and understandably started wailing. Her lip swelled almost immediately and I couldn't tell if the blood was coming from her nose, mouth or both. I learned that while I'm good with dealing with other peoples (or my own) injuries I can't deal well with Alex being injured. While I told myself she'd get her clues from me and I should be calm, I started crying. Her doctor was called and a popsicle was given to Alex to help the swelling.

She wouldn't take Tylenol and had little interest in the popsicle. The doctor called back and said to go to Patient First. By the time Jason got home Alex was calmed and to Patient First we went. Turns out we did everything right and she was fine. We were told to take her to the ER if she started vomiting or passed out. She never did either.

But her little lip was very swollen for a few days. She looked a mess and let us know she felt pretty bad. Baby resilience is amazing and she was 95% better by the end of the week. Understandably she wasn't keen on having her picture taken but I did get a shot or two. My poor little honey.



The bike has permanently been removed from the porch.

2 comments:

  1. If there is a porch, kids will get off of it nose first every time!! By the time you were born, unless you were passing out or throwing up we did not take you to hospital... LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah dude, you HAVE to watch those wild bicycle hairs. . . if they are not sated they push small children off front porches. Jerks.

    You should note that by the time Monday rolled around, (and this happened on a Saturday, right?)I could only barely tell that anything had even happened to her. I was expecting all this swelling and gore, from your description, but when she got to my house. . . nothing but adorabillity greeted me at the door! This kid heals quick!

    I just thank God for having an angel on Alex duty that afternoon . . . and EVERY afternoon, considering some of the stunts I've seen her attempt ;) Chalk this one up as another lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete